All is going well though. When I think back on the birth of our little guy I'm pretty amazed at what the human body is capable of. I thought I'd prepared myself by watching endless hours of those labor shows on the Discovery Health Channel but deep inside, I was a little scared about how it was all going to go down. Actually, watching those shows probably backfired on me because I knew a little too much about what was happening. Like, "oh there is the crochet hook thingy they use to break a women's water but when they did that on TV, the woman screamed." I managed to keep my screaming to a minimum (at least I think I did) with the help of good drugs and a good husband. I asked for the epidural around 5 centimeters and although I planned to go natural, I'm glad I changed my mind because I think I enjoyed the process a lot more. Frank was amazing the whole time I was in labor. Considering we never practiced the breathing techniques we learned in birthing class and he never finished reading the baby book, he truly is a "game time player" and was the best comfort I could have asked for that day.
Now that we've been home almost a week, I can see why people kept telling us to get our sleep. Frank and I always wondered why they couldn't think of any other advice to give but now we get it. Nights have been tough as little Harper loves to sleep for hours during the day but wakes like clock work every 1 1/2 to 2 hours at night. He doesn't like his nursery or crib right now so he snoozes in a bassinet next to our bed. Our other big challenge has been breast feeding. Harper tends to fall asleep at the boob. Last night, during one of our feeding sessions, I tried singing "You're a Grand Old Flag" to wake him up after we googled "Keeping your baby awake during nursing" and they suggested singing something upbeat and catchy. Needless to say, it didn't work. We get better at it every try though, and we have had LOTS of chance to practice!
Well, Frank is back at work today and Harper and I are missing his company. We're trying to fill the hours until his return. Harper is taking the nap approach and I think I might do the same right now!
Falling Asleep at the Boob

Fighting It

2 comments:
Congrats!
Whoever said that no one is perfect was full of crap. 'cause one look at little Harper and anyone would say that that's one perfect little tot.
Way to go Dyani! Once again you've proven to the world that anything you do, you do it with class and perfection!
I love these pictures of Harper! Congrats to you all and good luck getting some sleep at night!
Post a Comment