Thursday, March 12, 2009

Infant Massage...Take Two

Harper and I attended our second massage lesson today and I'm happy to report that he was the STAR of the class. I was a little nervous because he started out just as fussy as he was last week but, luckily, there was another baby in attendance that outperformed the rest of the little ones. There were six babies including Harper. Lucas was back, and was the senior citizen of the group at 4 1/2 months. There was also the crying baby who we never got to meet because he (and his mom) were too stressed. There was Ewen (or something like that) who was 2 1/2 months and then there was Constantine Francis, also 2 1/2 months. Constantine (a boy in case you couldn't tell by the name) attended class with his mom Mary. Mary was a bit of a talker and by the end of the class I knew probably more about her and Constantine than I cared to know. For instance Constantine is in the 40th percentile for his age (he was premature), he has started sneezing adult-sized boogers, he has poop in every single diaper (which Mary called "presents for Mommy) and we also learned that Connie's mom will "always earn more money than her husband." Despite the fussy baby and Mary's running commentary, Harper managed to tune everybody out and enjoy the class (I think). After reviewing the leg and foot strokes that we learned last week (which Harper wasn't that fond of) we moved on to tummy and chest. This is where Harper catapulted to the front of the class by falling asleep (he was the only one at this point not crying or breast feeding). This session was the whole reason why I signed up for the class. We learned strokes that help sooth babies tummies when they are full of gas. Harper is definitely a gassy gus so I've been on the lookout for any tips that will help us get through those fussy times. The tummy and chest strokes were so relaxing to Harper that he stayed asleep while I was putting his onesie back on and strapping him into his car seat (two activities that usually always evoke some kind of protest). He stayed asleep the entire ride home and slept an hour past his normal feeding time. We practiced the strokes again after his next feeding. This time he stayed awake but he seemed to like the massage just as much!


Harper had his one month check up on Tuesday. He weighed in at 10 pounds, 5 ounces and he is 21 3/4 inches long!



Harper at One Month

Harper can now track the boats on his mobile with his eyes.

2 comments:

Mabreg said...

Harper has a great-great grandfather Constantine. Constantine J. Chock was born on April 12, 1863, in Opole, Germany and died April 4, 1920, in Fort Dodge, Iowa. His daughter Frances Laura Chock Hanrahan (September 10, 1895 - September 9, 1986) was Frank's Grandma Hanrahan. Her youngest son is our JD, John David Hanrahan, born September 8, 1938.. So you could have said in massage class, "We might have called Harper 'Constantine' instead, after his great=great grandfather, but the name seems wack."

Anonymous said...

I secretly love the name Constance. For a girl. Anyhow, Harper is looking more and more like his dad and uncle, based soley on his relaxation positions alone. Hopefully we'll see you guys at Easter!
XOXO